On
Wednesday August 10th 2011, I had my 39-week appointment with a
mid-wife. She updated my physical chart that the doctors had been neglecting.
It seems that they had been updating my computer chart but not my actual
physical chart. She told me that because of all of this work she was doing that
I needed to have the baby while she was on duty and that she was one duty
Friday and Saturday night from seven pm to seven am.
I
went into labor with Clara at one am on August 12th 2011, at first
the contractions were off and on and I was able to sleep until three am. At
that point the contractions were intense and were about ten minutes apart. I
let Jeremy get some more sleep and went to the living room to watch some
television and time my contractions. I had and app on my phone that allowed me
to time how long the contractions lasted and how far apart they are. I do have
to say that the books lied, they said the contractions would increase in
intensity, well they did not they started out strong and stayed strong. At about nine am my contractions were
three to four minutes apart, we decided to head to the hospital.
At
the hospital we went to the women’s health center, and were at the wrong part
of the hospital. We walked through the hospital to find the bank of elevators
that would take us to the second floor and the labor and delivery floor. Once
we found the right spot we went to check in, they sent me to the waiting room
as they were to full to even check me at that point. There was one other person
in the waiting room with me who was also sent there by the admitting staff.
While in the waiting room my contractions were still super intense and the
birth certificate ladies called down to the admitting room and told them they
needed to take me now. They finally decided that I needed to be checked to see
how dilated I was and if I was in active labor. Once that was all finished they
brought me back to the admitting office and tried to tell me that they would
have to send me to another hospital. However, the finally asked me if I was
active duty and I said yes, well being active duty they were unable to send me
to another hospital and had to admit me there.
I
was admitted and finally in my room where I would deliver Clara, they were
trying to ask me questions to finish my admission that Jeremy had to answer for
me. Finally they brought in the Anesthesiologist, who gave me my epidural. I
was in such pain that Jeremy asked if he could sign the consent form for me.
The doctor laughed and him and told him I had to sign it.
Once I had my epidural I was fine, just
read my book, watched TV, and played with my phone. At 4:45 pm I was told that
it was time to push. I pushed for
about 2.5 hours and Clara Lynn Gray was born at 7:11 pm (just in time for the
midwife who fixed my chart to deliver her), weighing 7 lbs 7 ounces and 20
inches long. Once she was born my
nurse was told that had to hurry up because they needed the room. My epidural
did not get a chance to wear off before I was in my post-partum room. The one
nice thing about them being busy that day was the only post-partum room
available at that time was a single room so I did not have to share with a
roommate.
Clara's stats on the monitor
Clara getting cleaned up
New mommy
New daddy
CONGRATULATIONS MOM AND DAD! She is beautiful! Hold her extra and give her some hugs from me! :)
ReplyDelete